Interview Blog: DJ Apollo
Apollo
Miller has 24 years experience in the music & entertainment industry as a
professional disc jockey specializing in corporate, school & wedding
events.
1.
How did you get started in your career field?
I got started in the business because I wanted to be an
entertainer, I enjoy being creative and watching people enjoy themselves
because of it. I got started in 1988. I used to watch other DJ’s at parties and
then go home and try to mimic what they did with the equipment I had. I took my
sister’s phonograph and hooked it up to a mixer I brought and used my father’s radio
that played tapes and that’s how I did my first party, that I only got paid $20
for. But it must have been a good job, because I was hired for other gigs and
kept going and going.
2.
What are your favorite parts of your job?
My favorite part of my job is being creative, and watching
the dance floor move. I get extremely excited and in my zone when the party is
rocking.
3. How
have negotiations played a role in your career?
Negotiations play a role on my career because everyone is
looking for a deal. Although I have set prices, I still have to wheel and deal
to fit into potential clients’ budgets in order to seal the deal. I typically
try to keep negotiating to a minimal by advertising a more than fair price for
packages that are all inclusive to the clients needs. This eliminates a lot of
haggling. The client typically understands quickly that the prices and benefits
are as fair as it can get and quickly agrees.
4.
Why is it important to work toward a mutual benefit in a negotiation?
Both parties have to be totally happy with the deal for it
to be a great deal. For me to comfortably feel like I want to do the gig it has
to be worth it financially for me and not over extensive on the benefits given.
Same thing goes for the client. They have to feel like they are getting their
money’s worth.
5. How
do you separate the person from the problem in a negotiation?
I attack my negotiations with the benefits that I know will
be tailored to the specific client. I try to give them an offer they can’t
refuse. The negotiations, of course, start with the initial phone call that
inquires about my service and prices. I analyze their tone of voice and from
that point I know what type of client I have, a penny pincher or somebody who
want’s great service at any cost. I structure my pitch to fit the person’s
personality. I tried to avoid problems in the negotiation.
6. Do
you engage in dirty tricks or tactics when in negotiations? If so, give an
example.
I typically don’t use dirty tricks or any special tactics.
As I said before, my prices are pre-structured to be extremely fair. It’s a “take
it or leave it” situation. But, during the negotiation I highlight the points
that will best suit that client and quickly gain their interest.
7. What
tips do you have for people interested in your career path? DJ Apollo
Tips I give to new DJ’s. Learn your craft, build a strong
brand, know your worth, and charge what you are worth.
No comments:
Post a Comment