Finances and Personal
Life
Growing up, my parents never sat me down and discussed
finances with me. Finance is not a subject taught in school. For me, and many
other Americans, finance is something learned through experience. A blog from
the Huffington Post Education section
shares one man’s opinion about this topic. Scott
Gamm writes that learning personal finances is more important than many
other subjects such as Calculus. All fields require for the person to handle
their own finances.
I have been living on my own for years now. I had to pay my
own bills, and still am paying my own bills. Anything that I know about money
came from trial and error. I am 27-years-old and I’m just figuring this “money
thing” out. Now, I think about how many credit card companies are out here targeting
college students. They disguise selling their credit cards and debt as building
credit. Although, having and using a credit card can build credit it is mostly
used to build debt in young people. I know from personal experience because I
had a credit card, and fell into the trap of its debt. Then, there are people
interested in starting businesses that have no idea about finances. They end up
going under due to their lack of financial education. I do not want to be that
person. Therefore, I am glad to be in this course.
Business finance can be a scary subject. I am excited to be
in this class to learn about essential pieces that come with being an
entrepreneur. However, this is going to be a challenge for me. This course is
my very first time seeing, analyzing, and understanding financial documents
such as income statements and balance sheets. I am glad Full Sail University
includes this course within the program. Financial competency is a necessary
step to being a successful CEO. I also do not want to get ripped off by anyone
due to my lack of knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment